|Nickname(s): The Forgotten City|
|Motto(s): Forever shall Morith stand.|
|Abandoned||c. 40 BM|
|End of Civil Rule||Canios 27th, 1629 AM|
|Founded by||Aramathus Eidolon|
|Named for||Morata Tribe|
Morith was a city located in the Vehra Wasteland and was the oldest city in Estreoth up until its eventual demise. Following the fall of the Ancient Kingdom, Morith was one of the first permanent settlements founded on the continent of Etrothos. The city, and the Kingdom of Morith that would follow it, would be instrumental in rebuilding civilization following the Great Cataclysm.
Located along the fertile Neytus River, the future site of Morith was settled by the Morata Tribe in around 40 BM. By the time Aramathus Eidolon was born in 23 BM, the population had climbed from a couple hundred to upwards of 2,000 people. The settlement went mostly unchanged during Aramathus' campaign to conquer the Vehra and the other tribes.
Following the end of Aramathus' crusade he returned to the settlement of his birth, which he named "Morith" after his tribe, and quickly instituted change. He instructed his followers in farming Periminion Grass, a wheat-like plant. Within fifteen years the young village of Morith had boomed from an estimated 37,000 citizens to near a 100,000 and produced enough food to feed far more that. By 200 AM, the city held over 250,000 individuals. For the next 1600 years, Morith would continue to grow, eventually reaching a population of just over a million individuals.
Throughout the 1620s, a combination of the rapid growth of the city of Rune, poor crop yields throughout the Vehra, and a economically weak, inefficient leader, Antillus Bismark, greatly diminished Morith's importance and power. In 1628 the crop failures had grown worse. Although there was no drought, neither farm crops nor native plants could grow. The largest famine in recorded history gripped the kingdom.
Surrounding towns and villages were abandoned at an impressive rate as their citizens fled to Morith in hopes of finding relief. Unfortunately, Morith was unable to feed its own population let alone that of the entire region. Many migrated west towards Rune, however many were either too poor or too proud to flee their ancestral home. Over two years a significant portion of Morith's population, estimated at nearly half of the total population at the time, perished.
The citizenship of Morith, outraged by Bismark's inaction, executed the king on Canios 27th of 1629 as he gave a speech in the old city. The king was dragged through the streets and eventually strung up, covered in pitch, and set to burn. Fearful for their lives, many government authorities fled the city overnight. Complete anarchy descended upon Morith; Rioting and looting overran the city and entire districts burned to the ground. The nobility closed off the gates to the upper district, keeping the rioting and looting outside the impenetrable walls.
By 1630, a measure of order was restored to Morith when a mercenary army took hold of the old city. They quickly took hold of the sickly population and coerced the few remaining members of the Bismark reign to flee. Those living outside the inner gates were left at the mercy of the gangs of rogues, thieves, and murderers. The years that followed were not kind to the city as the population in its entirety were reported deceased in a mere 8 years. Due in part of the Vehra quickly becoming a one of the largest deserts on the continent, the surrounding area of Morith is now surrounded in the largest sandstorm known to have ever existed. Since the formation of this storm there have been no reported visits to or from Morith, although there are records of some having tried.
The Morata tribesmen had always considered themselves innately arcane and, in following with old values, most of the inner cities building were crafted from the arcanely imbued stone native to the Vehra, Verite. This resulted in the unique navy-blue tint Morith had become known for.
The city itself was typically divided into two main sections, the Inner city and the Outer City, with many precincts in-between. The Inner City, also refereed to as Old Morith and the Walled Section, was the oldest section of the city. Contained within massive walls and imposing gate houses was the palace of the Morithian royalty nobility, protected by a large group of KingsGuard and financed by the overseers of the Outer City. Compared to the Outer City, Old Morith was remarkably unchanged through its existence in its structure and function.
Like much of the southern Vehra, the land around Morith consisted mostly of flat plains interspersed with gentle hills, most noteworthy of which is the highest point which the Inner City was built upon. Most of the Outer City radiates from this central spot and stretches away from the heart of Morith. Along the base of this hill is the dried river bed that was once the Neytus river. The city wraps along the river for a good length, eventually falling off into unattended territory. While the basic geography of the Vehra has remained the same, the region is now considered one of the most dangerous on the known planet, completely devoid of natural life.
In keeping with the lifeline of Morith, food was the main by far the main export and contributer of the Morith economy. In the later 14th century Morith became well known for various arcane elements exported to nearby allies. These devices gained immediate notoriety as they found themselves in many major conflicts throughout nearby areas, most famous of which was the infamous J'Ret Shard.
Law and Government
Up until the ejection of the Bismark reign, Morith had been continuously ruled by an Absolute Monarchy for the entirety of it's existence. Despite that, most areas outside of the inner city were given an unofficial overseer in what could be considered a soft Feudal System. While outer reaches of the city were ultimately governed by the Monarch, overseers often sought to emit change in their regions by gaining favor with the current ruler, which quickly morphed every day life in each major section.